Learning About Simple Sentences
About the Learning About Simple Sentences Lesson
This is an introductory lesson about simple sentences.
• to introduce the concept of simple sentences;
• to review the sentence parts, subject and predicate;
• to reinforce the idea that sentences make a complete thought.
You have learned that a sentence is a group of words that makes complete sense.
All sentences must have two things:
1. A Subject: who or what does the action.
2. A Predicate: what the subject does.
Subjects are nouns or pronouns. A sentence with one subject and one predicate is called a simple sentence. For example:
? Jimmy built his own rocket.
? We watched him.
The predicate is the action word. Predicates are always verbs.