The Science of Sound
About the The Science of Sound Lesson
A lesson about sound, how it travels, and how we can hear it.
• to teach students the definition of sound and how sound is created;
• to show how frequency and amplitude affect sound;
• to teach students how sound travels and how humans hear sound;
• to test students understanding of sound and hearing;
• to provide exercises that require critical thinking about sound and frequency.
Have you ever heard this question: If a tree falls in a forest where there is no one around, does it make a sound? Do you know the answer? Here it is: If no living thing is around to hear the sound of the tree falling, then there is no sound. Sound unbelievable? It?s true! In order for a sound to exist, there must be an ear to hear it.
In this lesson we will explore the science of sound. What is sound? Why are some sounds louder than others? Why are some high and others low? And-how do we hear?