English Grammar: Articles
About the English Grammar: Articles Lesson
An English grammar lesson on articles.
• Students will be able to state the definition of an article.
• Students will be able to name the articles a, an, and the.
• Students will recognize that articles are always used with nouns.
• Students will be able to use articles correctly in sentences.
1. Read lesson and discuss examples.
2. Allow students time to complete the exercises.
3. Discuss answers to exercises.
An article is a small word with a very important job. Articles are special kinds of adjectives. They give information about nouns. Articles make it clear whether you are talking about a specific, definite thing or something in general.
There are only two articles: a/an and the. These words are always used with nouns. If you are talking about a specific thing (noun), you use the word the. If you are referring to any one of the possible things that the noun describes, you use the article a (or an if the first letter of the noun is a vowel).
For example, if there were a cat across the street that you are referring to, you would say